UPSC PRELIMINARY MOCK TEST 22
Click on any option to know the CORRECT ANSWERS
- Air-independent propulsion (AIP) is a marine propulsion technology that allows a non-nuclear submarine to operate without access to atmospheric oxygen.
- Air Independent Propulsion (AIP) has a force multiplier effect on the lethality of a diesel-electric submarine as it enhances the submerged endurance of the boat, several folds.
Which of the above statements is/are correct?
Air-independent propulsion (AIP) is any marine propulsion technology that allows a non-nuclear submarine to operate without access to atmospheric oxygen. AIP can augment or replace the diesel-electric propulsion system of non-nuclear vessels.
Air Independent Propulsion (AIP) has a force multiplier effect on the lethality of a diesel-electric submarine as it enhances the submerged endurance of the boat, several folds.
1 and 2 only
2 and 3 only
1 and 3 only
1, 2 and 3
Treatment of wastewater involves physical, chemical, and biological processes, which remove physical, chemical and biological matter that contaminates the wastewater.
"The levels of organic matter in sewage are too low to be directly recovered. We investigated how we can use bacteria to capture this material," said one of the researchers Francis Meerburg. "We periodically starve the bacteria, in a kind of 'fasting regimen' Afterwards, waste-water is briefly brought into contact with the starved bacteria which are gluttonous and gobble up the organic matter without ingesting all of it," Professor Nico Boon said. "This enables us to harvest the undigested materials for the production of energy and high-quality products. We starve the rest of the bacteria, so that they can purify fresh sewage again," Boon explained.
The researchers said their approach is unique because they have developed a high rate variation of the so-called contact-stabilisation process. By using the contact-stabilisation process, up to 55 per cent of the organic matter could be recovered from sewage, the researchers said. This is a huge step forward, because the existing processes cannot recover more than 20 to 30 per cent. The researchers calculated that this amount can provide sufficient amounts of energy to completely treat sewage without the need for external electricity.
Odisha, Chattisgarh, Jharkhand and West Bengal
West Bengal, Assam, Meghalaya and Arunachal Pradesh
Karnataka, Kerala, Tamil Nadu and Andhra Pradesh
Karnataka, Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh and Chattisgarh
- Four States - Odisha, West Bengal, Chhattisgarh and Jharkhand - which comprise India's most human-elephant conflict-prone region, have decided to count elephants synchronously between May 9 and 12.
- This will be the first regional synchronous elephant census with an identical set of rules for direct and indirect counting methods.
- The direct elephant counting method is based on sightings of elephants, while in the indirect method, surveyors follow a dung decay formula for arriving at a population estimation.
- One will be punished or rewarded as per one's karma.
- The universe is a product of the natural phenomenon of cause and effect.
- There is an all-powerful God.
1 and 3 only
1 and 2 only
3 and 2 only
1, 2 and 3
The objective behind this festival sponsored by Raipur Municipal Corporation was to generate awareness about cleanliness and the methods using which city's waste can be creatively used and inculcate awareness about various ways to recycle the garbage. A plethora of activities were organized during this festival, which found full participation of students and adults.