UPSC PRELIMINARY MOCK TEST 25
Congratulations - you have completed UPSC PRELIMINARY MOCK TEST 25.
You scored %%SCORE%% out of %%TOTAL%%.
Your performance has been rated as %%RATING%%
Question 16 [CLICK ON ANY COICE TO KNOW RIGHT ANSWER]
- India's crude oil import bill will fall
- It will help us develop new treatment systems for heart diseases
Both 1 and 2
Neither 1 nor 2
These are the probable, not definite, benefits.
Submarine Canyon : Any of a class of narrow steep-sided valleys that cut into continental slopes and continental rises of the oceans. Submarine canyons originate either within continental slopes or on a continental shelf.
The new canyon system is very huge and probably formed by the river Kandivalasa. The depth of the canyon varies from about 90 metres from the starting point to about 2,500 metres at the deepest point, and it extends to about 50 to 70 km deep into the sea and the width varies from 50 metres to two km.
- Justification for Statement 1: Most of the canyons in the ocean system across the world act as channels for depositing sediments in the shelf region. "The more the deposit, the more are the chances of finding hydro-carbons. But it is too early to say on this aspect, as we have just discovered the canyon and the shelf region is yet to be explored," said Dr. Prasanna Kumar.
- The discovery of the canyon is not only a major breakthrough in underwater geological formations, but also gives us immense scope to study and explore new benthic ecosystem.
- Justification for Statement 2: The study of ecology and fauna and micro organisms will not only tell us about our past but also throw light on new science. The study of how organisms live and flourish at low oxygen level and high current system can lead us to understand human heart diseases better and help us develop new treatment system.
Question 17 [CLICK ON ANY COICE TO KNOW RIGHT ANSWER]
- The State Election Commission is a Constitutional Authority.
- The powers and functions of the State Election Commission are identical to those vested in the Election Commission of India.
- State Election Commissioner cannot be removed by the Governor, though appointed by him.
1 and 2
2 and 3
1 and 3
All of the above
- State election commissioner is appointed by The Governor.
- The powers and functions of the State Election Commission under article 243K AND 243ZA of the Constitution Of India are identical to those vested in the Election Commission Of India constituted under article 324 of the Constitution Of India in their respective domains.
- His conditions of service and tenure of office shall also be determined by the governor.
- He shall not be removed from the office except in the manner and on the grounds prescribed for the removal of the judge of the state high court.
- A judge of a high court can be removed from his office by the president on the recommendation of the parliament. This means that a state election commissioner cannot be removed by the governor, though appointed by him.
Question 18 [CLICK ON ANY COICE TO KNOW RIGHT ANSWER]
Both 1 and 2
Neither 1 nor 2
Neither statements are correct.
- A constitution amendment bill can be introduced in either House of Parliament (and not in state legislatures).
- Such a bill (to facilitate simultaneous elections) would have to be cleared by both Houses of Parliament by special majority followed by ratification of half of the state legislatures.
Question 19 [CLICK ON ANY COICE TO KNOW RIGHT ANSWER]
According to Government of India Act, Legislative council abolished in J&K
According to Article 169 of the constitution, Parliament may by law create or abolish the second chamber in a state
As per article 171, total number of members in the legislative council of a state shall not exceed one third of the total number of the members in the legislative Assembly of that state
None of the above statements are Not Correct
- Option (a) is wrong, because Legislative council abolished in J&K as per Section 57 of the J&K Reorganisation Bill, 2019, which reduced the State to the Union Territories of J&K and Ladakh.
Question 20 [CLICK ON ANY COICE TO KNOW RIGHT ANSWER]