UPSC PRELIMINARY MOCK TEST 203
Click on any option to know the CORRECT ANSWERS
The Russian Arctic Coast from the Barents Sea to the Bering Strait
The North American Arctic Coast (via the Canadian Arctic Archipelago) connecting the northern Atlantic and Pacific Oceans
Coastal Europe from the Strait of Dover all the way up to Novaya Zemalya
None of the above
"Through all the proposed projects, sanctions and bail-outs, one thing is certain - that traffic in the Northern Sea Route (NSR) will keep increasing which is evidenced by the increasing number of vessels plying through those waters and the increase in the global production of icebreakers. Currently, oil comes to Asia through the Suez Canal and is stored in Singapore, making Singapore the world's biggest oil storage hub. When the NSR opens up, it will be a challenge to Singapore because the NSR is a shorter route and piracy issues plague the Suez Canal."
"The Northern Sea Route (click on it to open Wikipedia page) is a shipping route officially defined by Russian legislation as lying east of Novaya Zemlya and specifically running along the Russian Arctic coast from the Kara Sea, along Siberia, to the Bering Strait. The entire route lies in Arctic waters and within Russia's Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ)."
Statement 'a' refers to the Northeast Passage (this passage includes the NSR)
Statement 'b' refers to the Northwest Passage.
Statement 'c' is not associated with Arctic shipping routes.
See the double-coloured dash line on the right side in the image.
- Scientific Social Responsibility (SSR) is the confluence of scientific knowledge with visionary leadership and social conscience.
- SSR policy would involve three different categories of stakeholders: beneficiaries, implementers and supporters.
- A special purpose vehicle will be established to take care of SSR policy implementation under the overall coordination of DST.
1 and 2
2 and 3
1 and 3
- Scientific Social Responsibility (SSR) is the confluence of scientific knowledge with visionary leadership and social conscience. SSR is about building synergies among all stakeholders in our scientific knowledge community and also about developing linkages between science and society.
- SSR policy would involve four different categories of stakeholders: beneficiaries, implementers, assessors and supporters (BIAS)
- As a first step towards implementing SSR, a national digital portal would have to be established wherein societal needs requiring scientific interventions are captured and available for SSR implementers, in addition to providing a platform for reporting of SSR activities. A special purpose vehicle or body/agency needs to be established to take care of SSR policy implementation under the overall coordination of DST.
- This body will evolve suitable changes for guidelines on SSR from time to time taking into consideration the dynamic changes in the economic and scientific environment of the country. This body would be guided by an advisory committee/board comprising of diverse stakeholders from science and society.
These are parts of architectural structures
These are highly polished
These are monolithic
The shaft of the pillars is tapering in shape