UPSC PRELIMINARY MOCK TEST 88
Click on any option to know the CORRECT ANSWERS
- A private individual
- President of India
- A Tribunal
- An inferior court
- Chief justice of high court acting in judicial capacity
1, 2, 3 and 5
1, 2 and 5
2 and 5
1, 3, 4 and 4
- Mandamus is a command issued by the court to a public official asking him to perform his official duties that he has failed or refused to perform. It can also be issued against any public body, a corporation, an inferior court, a tribunal or government for the same purpose.
- The writ of mandamus cannot be issued
(a) against a private individual or body;
(b) to enforce departmental instruction that does not possess statutory force;
(c) when the duty is discretionary and not mandatory;
(d) to enforce a contractual obligation;
(e) against the president of India or the state governors; and
(f) against the chief justice of a high court acting in judicial capacity. "
A GK question; useful example for essay/answer-writing.
"Gambian President Yahya Jammeh has declared a 90-day state of emergency a day before his official mandate ends. Regional leaders have been unsuccessfully trying to persuade him to hand over power to Adama Barrow, who won December's elections."
A programme for prevention and control of pollution in River Brahmaputra
A campaign to bring attention to Chinese authorities the fragility of ecosystems that depend on river Brahmaputra
A river festival
None of the above
"Assam Government will be hosting the biggest river festival 'Namami Brahmaputra' planned all along the mighty river with the main venue being a river island at Guwahati. The five-day festival is to be held from March 31 to April 4 where the Assam Government led by its Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal and his team has planned out a host of activities to showcase the region's art, heritage and culture."
- The area lies along a patch where the Nallavagu and Dindi rivers merge
- This area is dominated by chenchus, a Scheduled Tribe
- In 2017, the endangered species of mouse deer was introduced here
Biligiri Rangaswamy Temple (BRT) Tiger Reserve
Nagarjunsagar Srisailam Tiger Reserve
Amrabad Tiger Reserve
Nagarahole Tiger Reserve
- Amrabad Tiger Reserve lies in the Nallamala hills, a landscape that is recovering after over two centuries of degradation by the British and the Nizam of Hyderabad.
- It is a mystifying landscape of lofty hills and cavernous valleys, perennial rivers and exciting winding roads that have thick, forested topography on one side and deep and vast valleys on the other along with different hues to mark the seasons.
- It is India's second-largest tiger reserve, next only to Nagarjunasagar Srisailam Tiger Reserve
- It is dominated by the Chenchus, a ST, who are less affluent and are the most under-privileged group in Telangana.
- In 2017, Telangana Forest Department for first time has re-introduced 'mouse deer' in the forests of Nallamalla in Amrabad Tiger Reserve (ATR).
the grant of ownership of land to peasants as they were the actual cultivators of the land
the reduction of the share of the landlords from one-half to one-third
the uprooting of Zamindari system and the end of serfdom
writing off of all peasant debts