UPSC PRELIMINARY MOCK TEST 108
Click on any option to know the CORRECT ANSWERS
- Rift valleys are the lowland regions formed at junction of convergent plate boundaries.
- Rift valleys are observed in deep water and in area surrounded by mountains.
Both 1 and 2
None of the above
United States of America
From Centre to State through President
From State to Centre through Governor
From Centre to State through Parliament
From State to Centre through State legislature
- President may, with the consent of the state government, entrust to that government any of the executive functions of the Centre. Conversely, the governor of a state may, with the consent of the Central government, entrust to that government any of the executive functions of the state.
- Constitution also makes a provision for the entrustment of the executive functions of the Centre to a state without the consent of that state. But, in this case, the delegation is by the Parliament and not by the president. Notably, the same thing cannot be done by the state legislature.
- According to the 'Agreement on Consular Access (2008)', consular access must be provided within 180 days of arrest of either country's prisoners
- A Joint Judicial Committee on Prisoners was set up in 2008 whose mandate is only to ensure that such prisoners are treated humanely
Both 1 and 2
Neither 1 nor 2
India and Pakistan had signed the Agreement on Consular Access in 2008, according to which consular access must be provided within 90 days of arrest of either country's prisoners. This period is given to help verify the person's nationality and enable necessary steps to repatriate the person to his or her country of origin. There have been instances where prisoners could not be released and repatriated because their nationalities were not verified on time.
In January 2008, India and Pakistan set up the India-Pakistan Joint Judicial Committee on Prisoners, which consisted of retired judges from both countries. The committee worked hard to seek early repatriation of prisoners who have completed their sentences in the other country's jail and also ensure that they are treated humanely. It met every six months and visited prisoners in both countries. It discussed issues such as health and food of the prisoners and the need to evolve a mechanism for humanitarian treatment of women, the mentally challenged, juvenile prisoners, and so on.