UPSC PRELIMINARY MOCK TEST 109
Click on any option to know the CORRECT ANSWERS
- Congress wanted to maintain class harmony
- Second chamber in Provincial legislatures was a hurdle
- Provinces lacked financial resources
1 and 2
2 and 3
1 and 3
All of them
- Congress could not attempt a complete overhaul of the agrarian structure by completely eliminating the zamindari
- According to the constitutional structure of the 1935 Act, the provincial Ministries did not have enough powers to do so. They also suffered from an extreme lack of financial resources, for the lion's share of India's revenues was appropriated by the Government of India.
- The strategy of class adjustment also forebade it. A multi-class movement could develop only by balancing or adjusting various, mutually clashing class interests. To unite all the Indian people in their struggle against colonialism, the main enemy of the time, it was necessary to make such an adjustment
- Further, nearly all the Congress-run states (that is, U.P., Bihar, Bombay, Madras and Assam) had reactionary second chambers in the form of legislative councils, which were elected on a very narrow franchise - while the number of voters for the assemblies in these states was over 17.5 million, it was less than 70 thousand for the second chambers. These were, therefore, dominated by landlords, capitalists and moneylenders, with the Congress forming a small minority
Source - Chapter 26, Bipan Chandra
GS 1 - Modern Indian history from about the middle of the eighteenth century until the present- significant events, personalities, issues
- The reasons stated above have been true after independence as well.
- Under Article 137, the Supreme Court has the power to review any of its judgments or orders.
- Scope for review:
- When a review takes place, the law is that it is allowed not to take fresh stock of the case but to correct grave errors that have resulted in the miscarriage of justice.
- The court has the power to review its rulings to correct a "patent error" and not "minor mistakes of inconsequential import".
Snow leopards have been spotted in Lippa-Asra wildlife sanctuary in Kinnaur district of Himachal Pradesh. This finding indicates that snow leopards are inhabiting new areas. "
He controls the entire financial system of the country at both the levels-the Centre and the state.
He swears to devote himself to the service and well-being of the people of India.
He can be removed by the President on same grounds and in the same manner as a judge of the Supreme Court.
He is not eligible for further office.
- To bear true faith and allegiance to the Constitution of India;
- To uphold the sovereignty and integrity of India;
- To duly and faithfully and to the best of his ability, knowledge and judgement perform the duties of his office without fear or favour, affection or ill-will; and
- To uphold the Constitution and the laws.
1 and 2 only
Neither 1 nor 2