UPSC PRELIMINARY MOCK TEST 130
Congratulations - you have completed UPSC PRELIMINARY MOCK TEST 130.
You scored %%SCORE%% out of %%TOTAL%%.
Your performance has been rated as %%RATING%%
Question 1 [CLICK ON ANY CHOICE TO KNOW MCQ multiple objective type questions RIGHT ANSWER]
Having been listed in the Montreaux Record in 2011, the Bhitarkanika Mangroves - a part of this sanctuary - was recently removed from it
A record-breaking mass nesting by the endangered olive Ridley turtles took place here
It has been recognised by the UNESCO as a natural World Heritage Site
The National Tiger Conservation Authority has approved a proposal to bring in tigers from the Sariska Tiger Reserve
- Tens of thousands of eggs laid by Olive Ridley sea turtles this year in Gahirmatha Sanctuary in Odisha, one of the world's largest nesting grounds, are getting destroyed due to shrinking coastal space.
- The Odisha Forest and Environment Department estimates that 6,04,046 turtles have come to lay eggs at Nasi II island of Gahirmatha from February 22. The turtles had largely given the island a miss in 2016, with only 50,000 coming to nest.
- A female sea turtle scoops beach sand out to lay 80 to 120 eggs, but its effort is undone when a second digs at the same place to lay its own. This season, turtles are estimated to have laid close to 60 million eggs along a 1,000-metre beach of Nasi II.
- What may have prompted the record-breaking mass nesting - this too could be asked as a question in the preliminary exam. In brief, it was the formation of a sand bar at the mouth of Rushikulya river which diverted fresh water away from the sea onto the coast (north of the mouth of the river), thereby reducing salinity of water along the coast. Reduced salinity attracts more small fish and insects (this is also food for turtles). And lesser salinity means reduced corrosive effect on egg shells (Information from this article).
Question 2 [CLICK ON ANY CHOICE TO KNOW MCQ multiple objective type questions RIGHT ANSWER]
- The Golden Crescent is the name given to one of Asia's principal areas of illicit opium production
- The Golden Crescent, made up of a mountainous region spanning Myanmar, Laos, and Thailand
Both 1 and 2
Neither 1 nor 2
Question 3 [CLICK ON ANY CHOICE TO KNOW MCQ multiple objective type questions RIGHT ANSWER]
- South Korea
1 and 3 only
1, 2 and 3
2 and 3 only
Question 4 [CLICK ON ANY CHOICE TO KNOW MCQ multiple objective type questions RIGHT ANSWER]
- State Public Service Commissions
- Election Commission of India
- Comptroller and Auditor-General of India
1, 2, 3
The Indian Constitution not only provides for the legislative, executive and judicial organs of the government (Central and state) but also establishes certain independent bodies. Election Commission ensures free and fair elections to the Parliament, the state legislatures, the office of President of India and the office of Vice-president of India. Comptroller and Auditor-General of India audits the accounts of the Central and state governments. He acts as the guardian of public purse and comments on the legality and propriety of government expenditure. Union Public Service Commission to conduct examinations for recruitment to all-India services and higher Central services and to advise the President on disciplinary matters. State Public Service Commissions in the state conduct examinations for recruitment to state services and advice the governor on disciplinary matters.
Question 5 [CLICK ON ANY CHOICE TO KNOW MCQ multiple objective type questions RIGHT ANSWER]