UPSC PRELIMINARY MOCK TEST 237
Click on any option to know the CORRECT ANSWERS
Revision of base year
Tata Institute of Social Sciences
Indian Council for Medical Research
Institute of Health Metrics and Evaluation
World Health Organisation
GATS 2 was conducted between August 2016 and February 2017 by TISS, Mumbai for the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
The GATS (under the aegis of the World Health Organisation) is a global standard for systematically monitoring adult tobacco use (smoking and smokeless) and tracking key tobacco control indicators.
Improvisation ( TH ): Contrary to tobacco companies' claims, there is now empirical evidence that large, graphic pictorial warnings on tobacco products have a telling effect on consumer behaviour. From 38% in 2009-10, the proportion of cigarette smokers in India who thought of quitting due to pictorial warnings increased sharply to nearly 62% in 2016-17. Though not dramatic, the proportion of bidi smokers who wanted to quit also increased from about 30% to 54%, according to the Global Adult Tobacco Survey (GATS), undertaken in 2009-10 and 2016-17, respectively. The increase among adults wanting to quit smokeless tobacco was also significant - 34% to 46% during the two periods.
- Speaker is empowered to place a Member under suspension but not for revocation of a Member's suspension.
- Unlike the Speaker, the Rajya Sabha Chairman does not have the power to suspend a Member.
Both 1 and 2
Neither 1 nor 2
- While the Speaker is empowered to place a Member under suspension, the authority for revocation of this order is not vested in her. It is for the House, if it so desires, to resolve on a motion to revoke the suspension.
- The Chairman of the Rajya Sabha is empowered under Rule Number 255 of its Rule Book to "direct any Member whose conduct is in his opinion grossly disorderly to withdraw immediately" from the House.
- In such a situation, the House may adopt a motion suspending the Member from the service of the House for a period not exceeding the remainder of the session.
- The House may, however, by another motion, terminate the suspension.
- Unlike the Speaker, however, the Rajya Sabha Chairman does not have the power to suspend a Member.
Sugar mills clear sugarcane arrears
Fishermen, financially, to construct houses, community halls and community tube-wells for drinking water
Create scientific storage capacity in rural areas to meet the requirements of farmers for storing farm produce
Eliminate child labour in hazardous industries by 2020
PIB 2014 : The Central Government on January 3, 2014 has notified a 'Scheme for Extending Financial Assistance to Sugar Undertakings, 2014 (SEFASU, 2014)' envisaging interest free loans worth Rs.6600 crores by Banks as additional working capital to sugar mills. The loan amount has to be utilized by the sugar mills for clearance of cane price arrears of previous sugar seasons and timely settlement of cane price of current sugar season to sugarcane farmers.
Improvisation: PIB ; "