UPSC PRELIMINARY MOCK TEST 259
Click on any option to know the CORRECT ANSWERS
a bilateral program between India and Nepal to enhance conservation efforts for the forests in the Himalayas.
a bilateral program between India and U.S. agency to strengthen capacity for REDD+ implementation in India
a program of UNFCCC to reduce emissions from deforestation and forest degradation.
None of the statements given above (a), (b) and (c) are correct.
The Partnership for Land Use Science (Forest-Plus) is a joint programme by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) and Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEF&CC) to strengthen capacity for REDD+ (Reducing Emissions from Deforestation and Forest Degradation) implementation in India.
A and R both are true, and R is the correct explanation for A
A and R both are true, and R is the NOT the correct explanation for A
A is correct, R is incorrect
A is incorrect and R is correct
"Further, as the levy is not introduced as part of the Income Tax Act but as a separate legislation under the Finance Bill, global firms that offer such services in India cannot claim a tax credit in their home country under the double taxation avoidance agreements, experts point out."
- Aswan Dam B. USA
- Hoover Dam C. Brazil
- The Itaipu Dam D.China
1-B, 2-A, 3-C, 4-D
1-B, 2-C, 3-A, 4-D
1-D, 2-A, 3-B, 4-C
1-D, 2-C, 3-A, 4-B
- The Three Gorges Dam is located in the Yiling district in the Hubei province of China. It is a hydroelectric dam spanning the Yangtze River being the longest river in China. Comprising 32 turbines with an installed capacity of 22,500 MW, it is the world's largest power station.
- The Aswan Dam, also known as High Dam, is located across the Nile River in Aswan, Egypt. The first dam was designed by Sir William Willcocks, and its construction started in 1898 ending in 1902. It has greatly impacted the agriculture and economy of Egypt.
- Hoover Dam, named after President Herbert Hoover, was originally called Boulder Dam after the name of the labor colony built in the vicinity of the dam for the workers. It is located in the Black Canyon of the Colorado River near Boulder City at the borders of the U.S. states of Nevada and Arizona.
- The Itaipu Dam is named after the island Itaipu that existed at the site of the dam. In the Guaranj language, 'Itaipu' means 'the sounding stone.' The dam is owned commonly by Brazil and Paraguay. It is located about 15 kilometers to the north of the Friendship Bridge on the Panama River at the border of Brazil and Paraguay. In terms of its operating output, it is the largest hydroelectric dam, while in terms of installed capacity, it is next only to the largest dam in the world, the Three Gorges Dam with a 22,500 MW installed capacity.
Estimate of its production of certain biological materials such as natural resources, and its absorption and filtering of other materials such as carbon dioxide from the atmosphere
Ability of living beings to make optimum use of natural resources available in their surroundings
Ability to create in their natural environment space to accommodate diverse migrant species
None of the above
The biocapacity or biological capacity of an ecosystem is an estimate of its production of certain biological materials such as natural resources , and its absorption and filtering of other materials such as carbon dioxide from the atmosphere.   "Useful biological materials" are defined as those demanded by the human economy.
Biocapacity is expressed in terms of global hectares per person, thus is dependent on human population. A global hectare is an adjusted unit that represents the average biological productivity of all productive hectares on Earth in a given year (because not all hectares produce the same amount of ecosystem services ). Biocapcity is calculated from United Nations population and land use data, and may be reported at various regional levels, such as a city, a country, or the world as a whole.
For example, there were 12 billion hectares of biologically productive land and water on this planet in 2008. Dividing by the number of people alive in that year, 6.7 billion, gives a biocapacity of 1.8 global hectares per person . This assumes that no land is set aside for other species that consume the same biological material as humans. 
Biocapacity is used together with Ecological Footprint as a method of measuring Human impact on the environment . Biocapacity and Ecological Footprint are tools created by the Global Footprint Network , used in sustainability studies around the world. "
- State Legislature has the power to reject the changes brought in its area, name and boundaries by the Union Parliament of India.
- Parliament of India is bound to follow the suggestions of the State Legislature in the matters related to the state boundaries.
Only 1 is correct
Only 2 is correct
Both are correct
Both are incorrect