UPSC PRELIMINARY MOCK TEST 272
Congratulations - you have completed UPSC PRELIMINARY MOCK TEST 272.
You scored %%SCORE%% out of %%TOTAL%%.
Your performance has been rated as %%RATING%%
Question 1 [CLICK ON ANY CHOICE TO KNOW MCQ multiple objective type questions RIGHT ANSWER]
Newly discovered element of Lanthanide group
New form of matter
Mission to explore other galaxies
Existence of Excitonium - which was first theorized almost 50 years ago, has been proved by scientists
This has been done by studying non-doped crystals of a transition metal- dichalcogenide titanium diselenide (1T-TiSe2)
Excitonium exhibits macroscopic quantum phenomena, like a superconductor
It is made up of excitons, particles that are formed in a very strange quantum mechanical pairing
How is exciton formed?
- When an electron, seated at the edge of the crowded-with-electrons valence band in a semiconductor, gets excited and jumps over the energy gap to the otherwise empty conduction band, it leaves behind a "hole" in the valence band
- That hole behaves as though it were a particle with positive charge, and it attracts the escaped electron
- When the escaped electron with its negative charge, pairs up with the hole, the two remarkably form a composite particle, a boson - an exciton
Question 2 [CLICK ON ANY CHOICE TO KNOW MCQ multiple objective type questions RIGHT ANSWER]
to allocate funds based on performance in the ranking
promote research activity in field of science and technology
to rank institutions of higher education in India
It grant funds for promoting cultural activity in university
Question 3 [CLICK ON ANY CHOICE TO KNOW MCQ multiple objective type questions RIGHT ANSWER]
- Hong Kong
- New Zealand
1, 2, 3 and 5 only
1, 2, 4 and 5 only
2, 3 and 5 only
1, 2, 3, 4 and 5
Question 4 [CLICK ON ANY CHOICE TO KNOW MCQ multiple objective type questions RIGHT ANSWER]
- Mutualism: Both the species are benefited
- Commensalism: One species is harmed and the other is unaffected
- Competition: Both the species are harmed
- Amensalism: One species is benefited and the other is unaffected
1, 2 and 3 only
1 and 3 only
2 and 4 only
1, 2, 3 and 4
Pair 2 is incorrectly matched. Commensalism is the interaction among species in which one species benefits and the other is neither harmed nor benefited, for example, an orchid growing as an epiphyte on a mango branch. In this interaction while orchid benefits, the mango tree remains unaffected.
Pair 3 is correctly matched. Competition is the interaction in which species compete with each other to utilize the limited available resource. In this interaction both the species lose as they try to outdo each other, for example, the herbivores animals compete with each other to access limited grazing resources.
Pair 4 is incorrectly matched. Amensalism is the interaction in which one species is harmed while the other is unaffected, for example, some higher plants like black walnut secrete substances that inhibit the growth of or kill the nearby competing plants. This pair is not correctly matched.
Question 5 [CLICK ON ANY CHOICE TO KNOW MCQ multiple objective type questions RIGHT ANSWER]
- The Peninsular plateau is a tableland composed of the old crystalline, igneous and metamorphic rocks
- The Deccan Plateau is higher in the west and slopes gently eastwards
Both 1 and 2
Neither 1 nor 2