UPSC PRELIMINARY MOCK TEST 3
Click on any option to know the CORRECT ANSWERS
1. The tropic of Capricorn is a line located in southern hemisphere at 23$^\circ$S, while tropic of cancer is a line located in Northern hemisphere at 23$^\circ$N.
2. The Arctic Circle represents 66$^\circ$S latitude and Antarctic Circle represents 66$^\circ$N latitude.
3. Equator is also called as Great Circle.
Which of the following is/are correct?
1 and 2 only
1 and 3 only
2 and 3 only
1, 2 and 3
* The Arctic Circle is located at approximately 66.5 degrees north latitude, or 66.5 degrees north of the equator. This circle of latitude stretches through eight countries, including the United States, Canada, Greenland, Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Finland and Russia.
* The Antarctic Circle is located at approximately 66.5 degrees south Latitude, or 66.5 degrees south of the equator. This line, or circle, of latitude marks the start of the southern area known as the Antarctic. The circle consists of only one continent, Antarctica.
* The Equator or great circle is possibly the most well-known circle of latitude is the line sitting at zero degrees latitude, the equator. The equator circles the globe with a circumference of nearly 25,000 miles, dividing the northern and the southern hemispheres. This line of latitude is the starting point when referring to other points of the globe in terms of degrees north and degrees south.
* The Tropic of Cancer is located at approximately 23.5 degrees north latitude, or 23.5 degrees north of the Equator. This line of latitude is the northern boundary of the area referred to as the tropics. During the summer solstice the sun is located immediately above the Tropic of Cancer. This line is the point farthest to the north at which the sun is hanging directly upward at noon.
* The Tropic of Capricorn is located at approximately 23.5 degrees south Latitude, or 23.5 degrees south of the equator. This line of latitude is the southern boundary of the area referred to as the tropics. This line marks the point farthest to the south at which the sun is hanging directly upward at noon. During the summer solstice of the Southern Hemisphere, the sun is located immediately above the Tropic of Capricorn. "
A mobile application that integrates several other IR applications
A wheelchair booking service for the elderly and infirm people
A data trove related to the Indian Railways to satisfy the curiosity of its patrons
A complaint management system
- Currently, there are multiple mobile applications by Indian Railways to cater various passenger requirements including onboard cleaning. Most of the apps cater to one service only. To use different services, users need to search and download each application separately. In order to provide better customer experience, there is a need for an integrated application which will give a single window interface for these services.
- Inline with the above concept, Minister of Railways had announced integration of all existing ticketing digital solutions under one App in his Budget Speech 2016-17.
- Rail SAARTHI is an app under development to integrate 8 independent mobile applications of the IR.
PIB ; "
1.Recently the Supreme Court completely struck adultery law and Section 377 of the Indian Penal Code.
2.Section 377 was read down as it was violative of Article 14 , 19 and 21.
Which of the above statements are correct?
Both 1 and 2
Neither 1 nor 2
The judgment striking down adultery law is especially significant considering that this is only the second time in 158 years that an IPC provision has been completely struck down, and not just read down, like in the case of Section 377 .
Adultery Law Judgement
Under Section 497 of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) Adultery was an offence and a convict could be sentenced to five-year-jail term. Section defined adultery as an offence committed by a man against a married man if the former engaged in sexual intercourse with the latter's wife.
Section- 377 Judgement
Navtej Singh Johar & Ors. versus Union of India thr. Secretary Ministry of Law and Justice is a landmark decision of the Supreme Court of India in 2018 that decriminalised all consensual sex among adults in private, including homosexual sex
It was held that Section 377 violated Article 14 (equal protection of laws), 15(1) (non-discrimination on grounds of sex), 19(1)(a) (freedom of expression) and 21 (right to life and personal liberty) .
- It is a three-tiered organization that oversees political, economic, energy and security issues of strategic concern
- The Prime Minister presides over NSC
Both 1 and 2
Neither 1 nor 2